Blog Archive

Sunday, September 23, 2012

When have you disconnected with the world to connect with nature?



Day 54

 After promising my wife for almost four years, we decided to take a day trip to Skyline drive at the Shenandoah National Park Virginia. The skyline was approximately 105 miles with a driving speed to 30 miles per hour. We left our home at 3:30 am to be in time to see the sun peeking out through the mountain valley. To my surprise at 6:30 in the morning the park had many visitors. Luckily today was an excellent day for this excursion with great fall like weather with some change of colors that were peeking through. Approximately every two miles, there was an overlook that displayed mesmerizing scenic display of the mountains. The symphony of nature was creating a meditating effect.

So here is my question: When have you disconnected with the world to connect with nature?

Unfortunately for me driving through the park disconnected me from my cellphone because of the lack of service. It was hard for me to check my emails, connect with Facebook and Twitter. Initially annoyed because I felt handicapped without the phone but then the scenic beauty took a hold of me. With the phone away, I actually enjoyed my surroundings in great detail and felt like I was spending some quality time.

 



In this trip we pursued an Apache trail leading us to a waterfall and since it had rained yesterday the whole 1.5mile walk was worth the huffing and puffing. Today I had great opportunities to pursue my photography skills. Strangely there was a feeling of Amish Culture somewhere behind my mind throughout the trip because I felt disconnected from the world.

When is the last time you have disconnected yourself from the world and pursued something that you like to do? In our busy life schedules, do you think a date with nature for a day will help us rejuvenate for more challenges? How about disconnecting ourselves from the world and spending the day with the people we care? 

“Freedom of the mind opens in the peacefulness of the wild rather than in the preoccupied society”

~Lenji Jacob

No comments: